Everyone has their price ... and I'm cheap.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Five Years in the Making: Ring Day.

Well, It's taken five very long years. Friday is the symbolic end of my career as an engineering student (yeah, I have almost 2 months left to the end of exams, but this is still exciting).

For those of you who don't know, Canadian engineering students take part in a psuedo secret cerimony near the end of their undergraduate career, during which they recieve an 'iron' ring (it is really made of stainless steel because the iron made fingers go strange colours). The iron ring is worn on the pinky finger of the engineering graduate's working hand. This is so that as you do your work, you are constantly reminded that people often trust their lives to the work you are doing.

The cerimony (The Ritual Calling of the Engineer) is, as I said, pseudo secret. It is no secret that the cerimony takes place, but what goes on there is only for obligated engineers. The only people allowed to attend are those recieving their rings, or those who already have theirs.

I wanted to share my excitment as this Friday grows closer. The ring actually means very little in the global scheme of things. It is not leagally binding, it is not a degree (I still have to graduate), and I don't recieve any benefits over those who don't get a ring, but it is very symbolic, and something a lot of engineers take very seriously. It is also a symbol of the fact I am almost done.

Oh yeah, did I mention there is a really big party afterwards. The beer will be flowing, and flowing, and so on. It should be a very interesting night (and possibly Saturday morning).

Oh and by the way. HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY. Be sure to celebrate with at least one pint of the good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home